The school, in Eden, was established in 1857. The original building, Tarerergudje, meaning "listen", is still in existence and being used. The school became a Central School in 1958, with senior students, who wished to complete the full High School Course travelling to Bega to do this. In 1974, the Eden High School opened and our school became Eden public School, as it is today. A rebuilding program was completed in 1978, providing us with new classrooms and excellent Hall/Canteen and Library facilities. These were required to cope with increasing enrolments, caused by the growth of the local timber industry.
In November, 2007 the school successfully celebrated 150 years of continuous public education. This milestone was coordinated by former Principal Mr Garrick Hale, ably supported by former pupil Mrs Jenny Drenkhahn. An open day and official ceremony attracted over six hundred visitors. They included former pupils and staff, state and federal politicians, departmental representatives, local government and community groups. The children also represented the school in the Whale Festival Parade. A breakfast catered for by staff and P & C fed over a hundred former pupils on the final day of celebrations. Students, staff, P & C and community members can take great pride in this major event. The school has received nothing but praise on its successful culmination.